So….there’s the Red Lip, the Smokey Eye and lots of combos in between…but when it comes to looking timeless, balance is the way to go! I have to say out of all of the Red Carpet moments last night, Meryl was one of my absolute favorites! Everything worked together….the dress, the hair and the makeup….she looked, well, balanced…and timeless. (and I have to say, in channeling my inner Julia for the big award night, my Braised Short Ribs kicked some Oscar boo-tay!:)
So…if you’ve had a (hmmmm) few birthdays, your new beauty mantra is Balance, Balance, Balance….So what do I mean by that exactly, you ask?
Well, here are your tips for timelessness…
- Less is more…everything you thought you knew about makeup 20 yrs ago probably doesn’t work for you anymore….sorry!:(
- Tinted Moisturizer is your friend….toss anything too heavy or too matte….let your skin show!
- Concealer….your new BFF! Get in the bridge of the nose and clean up that outer corner…not sure what I mean? Answers here!
- Eyes should be soft, yet defined along the lashline (top lid only, please!…no liner underneath necessary or recommended…)
- Choose soft neutral shades of matte eyeshadow for the lid and reserve the “pop of color” for the lashline…
- Define those brows, ladies!
- Use a cream blush for the apples of the cheeks…it looks more natural and is way more forgiving than the powdery stuff!
- And…have a little fun with lip color! Think Berry, Rose, Blush, and Mauve….just skip anything too matte (like last years cardboard), too glossy (like you just snarfed down a bucket of fried chicken), too dark (you know…those vampire colors) or too brown (blah) !
And…AHHH… Helen Mirren…the perfect example of timelessness…gorgeous! Proof positive you can enjoy your birthdays gracefully and still look like a million bucks!